Welcome to Finnish Brain Foundation’s grant system!
Finnish Brain Foundation awards grants for scientific research of brain and nervous system or closely related diseases. In 2022, the total sum for grants is 250 000 EUR.
The application period for the Finnish Brain Foundation’s grants in 2022 is from August 1, 2022 to August 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
You can apply by submitting an application in the grant system. Only applications submitted through the grant system by the deadline will be considered.
If you do not have a username yet, please register first. Please use primarily the grant system's messaging feature when communicating with the Foundation.
Funding per research area in 2022 (*)
- Alzheimer and other memory disorders 108 000 EUR
- Child and adolescent psychiatry 58 000 EUR
- Disability and mental retardation 45 000 EUR
- Neurology (related to traumatic brain injury, cerebral circulation disorder, epilepsy, MS and Parkinson’s disease) 34 500 EUR
- Muscular dystrophy 4500 EUR
Total: 250 000 EUR
(*) The Board of the Finnish Brain Foundation retains the right to make changes if needed. In 2022, at least one grant will be awarded for the research of ALS. The sums are calculated from the capital of each fund that varies depending of the donations and capital growth of each fund.
Instructions for applying for a grant
Funding is intended for phd studies and post-docs and to individual researchers, the grant amounts in the past years have varied between 1500 EUR and 15 000 EUR. Grants are personal and they cannot be transferred to a third party. Personal grants are intended to allow full-time research leave for the recipient. However, the grant is not a salary for work done in an employment or service relationship. If the grant recipient does not have the opportunity for full research leave, the recipient can use 35% of the total weekly working time for clinical or similar work during the grant payment period. However, at least 65% of working time should be spent on research. Finnish Brain Foundation does not award grants for travel costs. The grant should be used within three years from the date that it is awarded.
You can only apply for a grant from one fund.
The application submitted in the scholarship scheme with its attachments must be sent out of the scheme no later than the closing date of the application period on 31 August 2022 at 23.59.
Applications cannot be completed after the application deadline. Late applications will not be processed. Applications prepared in a way that deviates from the instructions will not be considered. You can save your application as incomplete and edit your application within the application period.
We will notify all applicants personally of the grant awarded by the end of 2022.
Read more about grants, reporting on their use, taxation, social security, and communication related to the Brain Foundation grant research here (in Finnish).
Short checklist of the grant applicant
1. Please check that your application contains all material before submitting the final application.
2. Fill out the application form. Follow the instructions in the various sections of the form.
3. Write a structured and concise summary of the ongoing research and its progress.
4. Ask your supervisor of the dissertation or research to add his / her statement to your application under the scholarship scheme within one week from the application deadline (ie. by 7 September 2022).
5. Related parties and the Foundation's conflict of interest principles